Things to Know About Invisalign®
Even if you haven’t done much research into the subject, you’ve probably heard a thing or two about Invisalign®. These clear aligners are an excellent alternative to braces and have much success in treating common dental problems. At DentAlign NYC, we’re committed to helping our patients achieve the smile they deserve. For many of them, this means providing reliable, affordable Invisalign®. We regularly meet with patients from across New York City, making sure they have all the information about this innovative treatment. Find out if Invisalign® is for you.
Preparing for Invisalign®
The best thing you can do to prepare for Invisalign® is to educate yourself on all the steps of the treatment process. We’ll begin with the initial Invisalign® consultation, where we’ll determine if this is the appropriate treatment for you and your specific condition. If we decide Invisalign is the best choice, we’ll make sure you know all the details of what to expect. First and foremost, make sure you understand the following process:
- Aligner Construction: Invisalign® isn’t one-size-fits-all. Each patient will have a custom set of aligners molded to their mouths.
- Wear Them Regularly: For best results, be sure to wear your clear aligners at least 22 hours per day. You can remove them for meals and brushing and flossing.
- Tooth Shifting: Wearing Invisalign® regularly puts enough pressure on the teeth to cause them to shift in the mouth. Over time, your teeth will move into the correct position.
- Adjustments: Because clear aligners cause your teeth to move, your first set of Invisalign® will only fit for so long. Every two weeks or so, you’ll need adjustments to your Invisalign®.
Benefits of Clear Aligners
People far and wide celebrate the benefits of clear aligners such as Invisalign®, and for good reason. Not only can Invisalign® give you fantastic results, but they come with much less hassle than traditional metal braces. Find some of the incredible benefits of Invisalign® below:
- Appearance: Many people, mostly adults, shy away from metal braces because of their clunky, obvious appearance. Invisalign®, however, is virtually invisible as its name suggests. No one will notice your clear aligners!
- Removable: You can’t take traditional braces on and off, and that makes brushing your teeth and eating difficult. Fortunately, Invisalign® is completely removable for your convenience.
- Comfortable: Some patients report slight discomfort at first, but the trays will eventually lose their stiffness, and you’ll get used to the feeling of them in your mouth.
- Affordable: Invisalign® tends to be much less expensive than normal braces. Some insurance plans will even cover the bulk of the cost!
Cleaning Your Invisalign® Aligners
Just like your natural teeth, your Invisalign® will need to be cleaned frequently. However, this isn’t too much of a hassle, especially once it becomes just another part of your daily routine. At DentAlign NYC, we recommend taking the following steps to ensure your clear aligners are spick and span:
- Brush and floss your teeth in the morning
- Clean Invisalign® trays first thing after waking up
- Rinse the trays every time you remove them to eat (don’t use hot water or toothpaste!)
- Soak the aligners each day in a denture cleaning solution
- Brush and floss before putting the trays back in
How to Deal with Discomfort
Some mild discomfort along with Invisalign® is commonplace. However, this shouldn’t deter you from learning more. Patients seldom report significant pain and soreness, and mild discomfort is easily managed with pain relievers. In fact, this slight discomfort is actually evidence that Invisalign® is doing its job. You’re feeling the gradual movement of your teeth into their ideal place. After a day or two of mild pain, these symptoms should subside.
Want to Learn More? Contact Us!
Invisalign® is an exciting option for patients who once would have had to settle for metal braces. If you believe clear aligners are the best choice for you, consult with the team at DentAlign NYC. We’d be happy to help you explore your options and give you all the relevant information on Invisalign®. Our team will make sure you understand how to maintain your Invisalign® and achieve the best results in the long run. We’re proud to have left so many New Yorkers with a glowing smile. Contact us today for more information.