Invisalign Care and Maintenance
Invisalign has become the go-to method for straightening teeth because it is unobtrusive and easy to manage compared to traditional, metal braces. At DentAlign NYC, we aim provide and help our patients properly care for Invisalign. It is important to maintain your Invisalign trays so they can do their job. Following these simple steps will ensure you are keeping your Invisalign in good shape.
Inserting and Removing Aligners
Proper insertion and removal of your Invisalign according to these instructions will keep the aligners in good condition and well positioned in your mouth.
- Wash your hands before inserting aligners.
- Insert one aligner at a time.
- Be mindful of upper vs lower aligners (U and L letters are engraved on each).
- Push the aligner over your front teeth, and then apply pressure to your back molars until the aligner snaps in.
- Do not bite into your aligners to position them, as this can cause damage.
- Slowly pull the aligner from one side of your mouth at a time, starting at the back molars.
- Disengage the back molar teeth from the aligner before moving to the front teeth.
- Gently pry the aligner from your front teeth with your fingertips until it is removed.
In general, always apply gentle pressure when inserting or removing Invisalign. Never bend or twist the aligners to get them to fit properly or to remove them from your mouth. If you experience significant discomfort from insertion or removal or your aligners are difficult to remove, contact DentAlign NYC.
Tips for Invisalign Care
It is important to clean and care for your Invisalign the same way you clean your teeth. Because Invisalign should be worn for up to 22 hours per day, it is vital to keep them in good condition.
- Clean your Invisalign with a small amount of toothpaste and a soft-bristle toothbrush. Some people clean the outside of the aligners while they are inserted and the inside when they are removed. Rinse thoroughly so all toothpaste residue is removed.
- Do not use denture cleaner or soak your Invisalign in mouthwash, as this can damage the aligners.
Oral Hygiene With Invisalign
One of the most common ways patients damage their Invisalign is by not following proper hygiene and care methods. Your Invisalign works best when you follow these instructions:
- Always remove your Invisalign before eating or drinking (no removal is needed for drinking cool water).
- Brush and floss after eating before reinserting your aligners. If this isn’t possible, rinse your mouth and your aligners and thoroughly clean aligners as soon as possible.
- Never chew gum with your aligners in; it will stick to your Invisalign and damage them.
Storing Your Invisalign Aligners
DentAlign NYC provides aligner cases for all our Invisalign patients. These cases are the best way to store and protect your Invisalign trays when they are not in your mouth. They are color coated to match the stage you are in so you know which set of Invisalign you should be wearing. For any questions regarding Invisalign care or maintenance, contact DentAlign NYC today at 347-491-6708.
Call today for Invisalign care and maintenance tips!