Learn More about Periodontics Treatment Options
DentAlign NYC delivers state-of-the-art periodontics to New York City patients. Periodontal disease can have lasting impacts on your smile and overall health. We’re here to prevent tooth and bone loss through effective treatments and procedures. Our patients trust us because we have mastered all the methods available to us. Our commitment to dental health includes education. Please read our frequently asked questions to learn what you need to know about periodontics.
What is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease attacks your gums by infecting them with bacteria. The infection gradually weakens the fibers and bone in the area, which causes them to recede and loosen your teeth. We call these receded areas “pockets.” There are three primary types of periodontal disease?
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis is a mild form of periodontal disease. However, it can worsen if you do not treat it. Sometimes, better brushing and flossing is all you need to do. If your dentist diagnosed you with gingivitis, you should begin taking steps to prevent it from worsening.
- Periodontitis: Gingivitis can turn into periodontitis, which is much more severe. The condition causes the gums to recede and has a significant impact if you allow it to advance. While periodontitis is a critical condition, there are effective treatments. So act now.
- Advanced Periodontitis: As periodontitis worsens, the pockets will enlarge. Then the pockets can become infected and produce pus. Another consequence is tooth loss. Advanced periodontitis usually requires surgical treatments to salvage teeth and bone density.
What are the Symptoms of Periodontal Disease?
There are numerous warning signs of periodontal disease. Fortunately, patients can look for them at home without the assistance of a periodontist. However, if you notice any of the following symptoms, you should schedule an appointment. Swollen, red, or tender gums are a red flag. Gum tissue loss and increased space between teeth are two more signs. If your gums bleed when you brush or floss, you could have periodontitis or gingivitis.
What Happens if I Don’t Treat Periodontal Disease?
Periodontitis leads to bone loss, and an excessive bone reduction will cause your teeth to fall out. But periodontitis has other impacts. Some studies have demonstrated the periodontitis-caused bacteria in your gums can spread through your body, which can cause heart problems. In pregnant women, periodontitis increases the risk of pre-term, low-birth-weight babies.
What Periodontics Treatments Do You Provide
There are numerous periodontics treatments. We decide which one to use in consultation with you, based on our expertise. At DentAlign NYC, we offer:
- Scaling and Root Planing: This non-surgical treatment involves thorough cleaning, smoothing, and antibiotic treatments. We address the surfaces of your tooth roots by removing all plaque and calculus from the pockets. Then we smooth the root and place antibiotics below the gum line. Some patients only require scaling and root planing to fix periodontal disease.
- Pocket Reduction: If scaling and planing don’t work, then we will explore surgery. Pocket reduction is an option. We use this technique when the pockets in your gums are too large for non-surgical methods to rectify. During this procedure, we lift gum tissue from the impacted teeth and remove the bacteria. Then we re-secure the tissue.
- Regenerative Procedures: Losing your teeth from periodontitis can be traumatic. However, we offer regenerative procedures to address this issue. For instance, we can lift the gum disease and remove the bacteria. Once our periodontist does so, they can place bone grafts, membrane proteins, and other elements to regenerate bone and tissue.
- Crown Lengthening: Because periodontal disease has cosmetic consequences, DentAlign NYC provides cosmetic solutions. Among them is crown lengthening, which solves gummy smiles. Crown lengthening also allows other essential procedures.
Will Insurance Cover the Treatments?
Most insurance companies cover the treatments for periodontal disease. We have found that most insurers cover between 50 and 80% of the costs. Before we begin treatment, we will run your insurance to give you an accurate estimate of how much you can expect to pay. We want to ensure our patients have healthy, confident smiles. When a patient’s insurance doesn’t cover the required procedure, we work with the patient to develop a manageable payment plan.
Contact Us Today for Periodontics Cleaning and More
Our board-certified periodontists understand how to adapt to each patient. Our flexibility allows us to devise impactful treatments and eradicate periodontal diseases. We want our patients to feel comfortable, but we also want to prove them with concrete answers. We communicate well and with empathy, enabling us to provide successful treatments. We understand tackling periodontitis, and gingivitis is daunting. But you can trust us to take care of you. Contact us today for more information.
Why choose us?
- Over 30 years of experience
- Complimentary consultation
- Invisalign Diamond Plus provider
- Located in the historic Chrysler Building
- Invisalign Provider for over 15 years